Thursday, December 14, 2017

Retroblogging 1993 SSE/SSN/SSB Meeting in Snowbird, Utah #evolution #ecology #systematics

So I am continuing on with Retroblogging past seminars and meetings and other events.  Today I am posting about the 1993 Joint meeting of SSE/SSB/ASN (Society for the Study of Evolution, Society of Systematic Biologists, American Society of Naturalists)



I drove to this meeting from Stanford with David Pollock and we went camping along the way at a relatively new National Park - Great Basin.  I brought my bike and overall had a nice time.





And then we arrived in Snowbird and, amazingly, at the reception I discovered that a friend of mine from high school Jeff Wager was working at the Snowbird resort.  Anyway - enough about me - here are my notes from the meeting.












































UPDATE - And here is are scans of the program





















































5 comments:

  1. Total kick remembering that Jonathan! Is that my bike on the car behind yours? I'm pretty sure I let you do Wheeler on your own, but I can't remember if I brought a bike too. If so it is the rebuilt green one that I still have! I was even more impressed though that you still have your notes from the meeting. Even if I still have mine I am not sure it is worth the archaeological expedition to find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the real question is - should I comment about the ride back?

      Delete
    2. lmao, I was thinking that you were extremely kind to Goldstein and I not to!

      Delete
    3. Look what else I found --- email announcing seminar by you and David G (I think practice for your talk at Snowbird): (It looks better in Courier Font I think)

      ******* SPECIAL SEMINAR ********

      FRIDAY JUNE 4, 1993
      12:00 NOON
      GILBERT 117

      An Improved Molecular Distance Measure -
      Noise Abatement in Phylogenetic Reconstruction

      DAVIDS

      G
      O
      POLLOCK
      D
      S
      T
      E
      I
      N

      *************************************************

      Anyone interested in molecular phylogenetics should
      be interested in this.

      Jonathan

      Delete
  2. One of the most important considerations you'll need to give to your business meeting is where you're going to hold it. Whether you are going to use meeting space San Francisco or your own office or exploring potential alternatives, be sure that it fits the occasion.

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...